Thursday, March 26, 2015

Cracking The SCM Price Guide Code

Sports Card Magazine (SCM) is published six times a year by Baseball Magazine Sha.  There is a vintage card checklist in each issue, the contents of which rotate from issue to issue.  I confirmed tonight that there's an actual pattern to this rotation.  Now granted, this isn't exactly on a par with cracking Enigma or (more appropriately) Purple but it did take having enough issues on hand to figure it out.

I put it all in table form.  The four columns on the right are all the recent issues of SCM that I have (per year of publication date) which I used to confirm this rotation.

Publication Date Cover Date Checklist Contents 2015 2014 2013 2012
January March Sumo/Other Sports 109 103 97
March May Baseball - BBM 104
May July Soccer - J League? 105 99
July September Baseball - nonBBM 106 100
September November Soccer - non J-League? 107 101 95
November January Wrestling 108 96

I want to note here that SCM actually uses the English word "soccer" in labeling those two checklists which I find kind of surprising.

I have a couple issues from 10 years ago that do not follow this pattern so I don't know how long ago this particular sequence of vintage checklists started.  And of course, past performance is no guarantee of future performance.  But I'm pretty confident right now that SCM Issue 110 (which comes out Saturday) will have the complete BBM listing for its vintage price guide.

2 comments:

Ryan G said...

Very helpful! It's good to know there's an actual trend to the checklists, at least for now.

I can't believe how expensive the magazine is, over 2000 yen now! I know that BBM issued a lot of sets in the past year, which is making the magazine a few pages thicker this year, but that's ridiculous. And for a magazine essentially issued by the same company that makes the cards, the checklists for modern sets tend to be quite lacking in parallel information. But I digress...

Pricing seems to be provided by "JSCA" which shouldn't be too far behind in terms of checklisting, even if prices can't be provided. I wonder who/what the JSCA is comprised of.

The new issue's promos don't look so promising, either. Based on the magazine cover, it looks like BBM will be priced in this issue.

NPB Card Guy said...

Yeah, it's basically doubled in price over the last year and a half. I'm not real pleased with the looks of the next issues' promos either (but I have already ordered the issue).

I think I may stop buying every issue and only pick up the ones where either I like the promos or it's one of the two with the baseball card checklist/price guide.