Sunday, July 29, 2012

Card Of The Week July 29

Yuki Saitoh had a bit of a rough start today (giving up 6 runs - only 4 earned - against Orix in 3+ innings) and is getting demoted to ni-gun.  A little over a week ago, Saitoh was the starting pitcher for the PL in the first game of the All Star series - I wonder if anyone was ever sent to the minors that quickly after starting an All Star game.

He actually had to submit a written report about his All Star experience to Fighters manager Hideki Kuriyama - a two page report on B5 paper (my daughter couldn't decide what was stranger - that he had to submit the report or that he did it on B5 sized paper).

So it's been a tough couple of days for Yu-Chan between the poor pitching, the demotion and the writing assignment.  Maybe Kuriyama will make him write "I will not hang a pitch to Norihiro Nakamura" 100 times on the black board as well.

Here's a card from the 21012 Calbee Opening Pitcher subset (#OP-02), celebrating his complete game 9-1 victory over the Lions on Opening Day:


4 comments:

Matt Schultz said...

I was wondering if I could email you. You seem to be the most knowledgeable person on the Web regarding Japanese Baseball cards.

Specifically I am looking for any all Japanese cards of current Rangers pitcher Colby Lewis. I'd love a checklist and a place where I could purchase singles. He only pitched there in 2008 and 2009, so hopefully not a ton of cards. I have 5 or 6 already.

Thanks.

NPB Card Guy said...

I'm always happy to respond to emails at npbcardguy@gmail.com.

For the Lewis cards, I think the great work that Jason has done adding Japanese cards to the SportsCardForum's Inventory Manager is what will answer your question. You'll actually need to register with the site and log in to be able to search for players.

I did a quick search just now and Lewis had 21 BBM cards, six Calbee cards and four Konami cards. (Weird - the BBM search also returned two cards that weren't Colby Lewis)

Jason Presley said...

I fixed the indexing problem that was returning those two non-Colby Lewis results. I noticed now that I've missed a bunch of the 2008 BBM team sets. I'll get those in this week.

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks Jason!