Sunday, January 23, 2011

Card Of The Week January 23

I mentioned in my write up of the BBM 20th Anniversary set that the "Great Records & Highlights" subset included cards for everyone who reached 2000 hits in the past 20 years except for Norihiro Komada. That's not completely true - the card for Tomoaki Kanemoto is commemorating his consecutive innings played streak (I think) instead of his reaching 2000 hits, and there may have been someone who reached 2000 hits in the 90's that I missed. But it is true that there's no card commemorating Komada in the subset. BBM did, however, see fit to commemorate the event in their 2001 set (#525):


It's kind of funny - the first baseball card set I collected as a kid was the 1975 Topps set. The set included a "Record Breaker" card for Al Kaline who had reached 3000 hits towards the end of the 1974 season. He retired at the end of the season, so the "Record Breaker" card was his only card in the 1975 Topps set - he didn't have a "regular" card. The 2001 BBM set was the first Japanese set I collected - this "Memorial Record" card of Komada was his only card in the set as he had retired following the 2000 season. Seems kind of symmetrical to me.

No comments: