Monday, February 16, 2009

Card Of The Week February 15

Meet Shinya Sasaki. He played second base for the Unions and Orions for only four years. He was named to the Pacific League Best 9 team in 1956, his rookie season. I think that the records he set (which is why he's in a "Record Makers" set) was the most at bats (622) and plate appearances (671) in a season. He set both of these records in 1956.

Now this is the kind of thing that the "Historic Collection" cards should have more of. I'd never heard of this guy before. I don't know if he's ever had any other cards (ok - I looked real quick at Gary Engel's book and I found at least one menko card). I don't know why he retired after the 1959 season (although his batting average declined each season). While I always enjoy another Sadaharu Oh and Shigeo Nagashima card, it's nice to occasionally get a card of someone unknown.


2006 BBM "Record Makers" #072. The picture is from 1957 when he was with the Daiei Unions.

No comments: